Investigations have shown that so many people are not aware that they can enjoy a wide variety of staple foods like: rice, boiled yam, fried plantain and beans, potatoes etc with these colorful vegetables, they think that these ingredients are only for salad and fried rice.
For those who have health issues such as diabetes, hypertension e.t.c., which prevents them from eating fried foods, tomato stews, and soups that contain much seasonings, this is a very wonderful, tasty and healthy alternative for you to enjoy your staples. It is very rich in vitamins and nutrients. I am going to teach you how to prepare and use it to your advantage.
To cater for a family of five, you need the following:
· Chicken or fish or meat (as preferred)
· Vegetable Oil or any other oil you may prefer (2 cooking spoons)
· 5 Spring Onions
· 8 Fresh Plum Tomatoes (Jos Tomatoes)
· 8 medium Carrots
· Cabbage (1 small bulb)
· Potatoes – optional (3 medium sized)
· 1 Red Bell Pepper (optional)
· 1 Green Bell Pepper
· Green Peas (fresh)
· Salt - to taste
· Seasoning – optional (2 cubes e.g. Magi)
1. Wash and cut the plum tomatoes, carrots, cabbage and bell pepper. Do not forget to scrape off the body of the carrots before cutting and set them aside.
2. Peel the Irish potatoes (this is optional because you can make your soup without thickening it), wash and cut into small pieces. Blend into a thick paste and set aside. This will be used as thickener for the Vegetable Sauce.
Direction for cooking
- Wash and cut your chicken, or fish or meat into pieces, put them in a pot, add chopped onions, stock cubes and thyme. Add also a litre of water and cook for about 10 minutes.
- When done, add a little quantity of the oil that you prefer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now, add the potato puree, carrot, chopped bell peppers and cabbage. Stir, cover and allow to cook for 5 minutes on high heat. Add salt to taste and the sauce is ready for serving.
You can increase or decrease the thickness of the vegetable sauce by increasing or decreasing the amount of potato puree added. This will be according to your taste and choice, but the important thing is that you have an alternative to what you do not want.
I know you will enjoy it.