How to Achieve Your Set Goals

At the end of each year, people will always lament over their unmet set goals and objectives.  Resolutions that are made at the beginning of the year and goals set are never achieved.  As this happens, we tend to believe that someone somewhere is behind the failure.   But we fail to realize that we ourselves have the power and ability of playing the major part in achieving our set goals and objectives.  When you hear “your destiny is in your hands” what does it mean to you?  I have the understanding that we are the determinant of our destinies.  How we channel our lives is how it is going to be.  With this knowledge, what do you want for yourself?




I have pursued one goal for the past 3 years without achieving it.   Recently, I have discovered some of the areas that are responsible for this failure and need to share it with others who are probably in the same shoe with me.  The areas are enumerated below as follows:

1. Leave the Comfort Zone:  You may have possibly been obsessed with one particular thing that makes you neglect other areas, you focus on it as if your life depends on it and leave other things that would have enabled you accomplish your set goals.  In my own case, I love being around my house each day I close from work.  I have to make sure everything falls in line because I have the intention that no one can do it better than me. 

This action of mine has made me lose chances of business follow-ups, appointments, church programs etc.  While it is good for a mother to take care of her home, it is very harmful if it makes you not able to balance your responsibilities. I don’t know your own hindrance but the bottom line is that we need to break away from things that tend to entangle us and incidentally hinder us from achieving our set goals.   






2. Follow Initiatives With Action:  You may have tons of wonderful ideas in your head but when it is not followed by immediate actions, those ideas are as good as dead.  My set goal is being hindered by financial challenges; fortunately I spoke with someone who gave me the idea of involving other people by appealing to them for help.  I prepared appeal letters but for the past two years, I have not been able to send these letters to the people until recently.  To my amazement, these letters are yielding positive results.  You do not have to wait for two years like me to take actions on your set goals; you need to start right away.

3. Set a Time - Frame: Every action you take in life must have a direction or a time table.  You must have a targeted time when you intend to achieve the goal.  Setting a goal and pursuing it aimlessly is like chasing the air.  Set a time-frame for the goal: for next week, in three months, in one year etc… 

Putting an end point on your goal gives you a clear target to work towards. If you don’t set a time, the commitment will be very unclear.  It tends not to happen because you feel you can start at any time.  Without a time limit, there’s no urgency to start taking action. To help you achieve your set goal, set a time frame and work towards your targeted time.